Monday, April 20, 2020

Project Conclusion

I chose this project because I saw that the program was intended to run slowly. I thought this would lead to more opportunities to make small changes to get performance improvements. The project was unfortunately already pretty well optimized which lead to a bit of a struggle in the last stage. 

As I've posted in my last posts, ZopfliUpdateHash was the bulk of the programs runtime. UpdateHashValue was called very often inside of this function so these were my main targets for optimization. On a coding level, these functions didn't have much that could be changed to improve their algorithms as they were just single lines with a constant run time or simple loops with at worse a linear growth rate. The functions were just called a lot. This lead me to the conclusion that forced inline functions may improve performance. 

Unfortunately time restraints kind of left me unable to actively test this more thoroughly. I may follow up over the summer just for my own interest but for now, this is the end of my project for SPO600.

No comments:

Post a Comment